Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Asukayama Park

A while ago I saw an advertisement for a really neat looking park.  I snapped a photo, as I usually do, and filed it away for another time.  Today I decided we needed to seek out the fun looking park. 


Turns out this park is just one train ride away from our current apartment.  A single train ride, no matter the length, is much more enticing to me than a maze of transfers.  Sometimes transferring trains can be quite confusing and overwhelming, especially if you have to change train companies!  I can do it, but prefer to avoid the headache.  Anyway, this park looked like a winner - including in the commute department. 

My son and I walked down to the subway station, paid for our ticket, and were waiting for the train to come when I suddenly realized I had left my phone at the apartment!  Grrr.  After trying to use the fare adjustment machine (which didn't work because we wanted a refund, not an adjustment), we then had to try to explain to the train station attendant that we just wanted our money back because I forgot my phone.  He was rather confused, but gave me the refund anyway.  At this point my son was quite distressed because he thought we were going to miss the one and only train that goes to the park.  Guess I'm going to have to refrain from saying "Hurry up or we will miss our train" in the future!  I reassured him that there would be another train, and we collected my phone. 

We got on the train and headed off for another day of adventure.  After almost a half an hour, we got off at the subway station and quickly found the park.  It is just a short 5 minute walk from the station.  When we first entered  the park, we saw a lovely fountain and creek area, as well as lots of walking paths.  I let my son pick one and we wandered around looking for the play structure.  It didn't take long to find.  As we approached, I couldn't believe the size of the play ground!  There were 2 full size trains for kids to climb on, a humungous castle play structure, a lovely sand pit, and climbing structures galore!  It kind of took my breath away.  My son, on the other hand, shot off like a rocket, immediately ready to play. 


He "drove" the train.  He climbed the castle and slid down the huge slides.  He made friends with the large elephant statue/slide.  He dug in the sand.  He swung on the swings.  He scaled the various structures.  He played and played and play for over 3 hours, only stopping for water and snack breaks. 


The park was a bit tired and well loved, but it didn't matter.  Everything was in great working condition for kids to explore and have fun.

On the way back to our apartment, we took the "fancy, crooked elevator" (better known as a small inclined monorail) back down the hill.  My son enjoyed the view, as we saw a Shinkansen pass by. 


We also passed by something that shocks me every time I see it - McDonald's delivery scooters, also know as McDelivery.  If you don't have enough time to go to "Mac-don-all-dough-z" yourself, you can have it delivered!  I've seen similar vehicles for pizza delivery and other things, but this one surprises me.  There were 3 parked at this location.


I'm so glad I took that photo of the ad for the park.  There's a couple more that I think I'll try, even if the journey to them is a bit more convoluted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...