Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Smooth Sailing

We've taken a few trips as a family.  Every time I'm amazed at what a great traveler my son is.  At 4 years old, he maintains a positive attitude, is cooperative, and goes with the flow.  Would this time be the same?  We've been under so much stress as we prepare for the move.  Although I've been dedicated to making and keeping play dates to deflect some of the stress, it still trickles in.  He understands he is leaving the only home he knows.  He is deeply saddened by moving away from his friends, even though he says to them "don't be sad.  We have Skype!"  He frets about how much he misses his chickens, ducks, and bunny (and so do I).  So, I was half expecting a melt down.

As a mom, I try to be as prepared as possible.  We have talked a lot about what to expect, reading lots of books about moving and airports.  I've packed a little roller bag with lots of new toys, books, and snacks - several items from friends, too.  I didn't want to be so focused on the mission that he felt over looked. 

Of course, my husband and I did have our own agenda, too.  This would be the first time we were flying first class - and boy were we excited!  We wanted to enjoy the experience to the fullest. 

We had a busy morning the day we left.  We got up, showered and started the very last load of laundry we would do in our beloved house.  My husband found one of our old chickens in the yard, so we all said goodbye to her one last time before taking her back to her new home a couple doors down.  We packed up the last couple of things and headed to our neighbors for a delicious breakfast.  Once we were full, we went back home to load up the van and spent some time with other friends.  That last hour flew by as we wrapped everything up and said goodbye.  Before we knew it, the neighbors were back to drive us to the airport.  The drive was surreal.  Was this really happening?  This wasn't just some crazy dream?  A quick 10 minutes, and there we were, with all our suitcases on the curb at the airport.  Hugs were quick and meaningful (man, we're going to miss our friends!).  We smiled and said "Adventure awaits!"

After checking in, we went through security and headed to the first class lounge.  I didn't know what to expect.  It was a room filled with comfy chairs, lots of people, and tons of snacks.  My son and I found a seat and my husband hit the snack bar.  We dined on veggies with hummus, Milano cookies, an orange, and some caramel popcorn.  It was a nice little treat.

The boarding announcement came soon and we headed to the plane.  My son looked so sweet as he hauled his carry-on bag and his ukulele down the passenger boarding bridge. 


We found our seats (or should I call them luxury traveling pods?) and quickly settled in.  I dug into the complementary toiletry bag with hand cream, facial mist, chapstick, toothbrush with paste, ear plugs, and eye mask.  My son wanted to read a book from his bag.  My husband and I nabbed glasses of sparkling wine.  The seats were comfortable, but the best part was the leg rest and being able to fully recline.  This is the life!

After take off, the food began to arrive.  We all picked the Japanese menu, not the Western menu, because we were flying on a Japanese airline.  I was amazed at the quality and the quantity!  My son picked at his food, surprising the flight attendants with his chopstick skills. 



I could tell my son was getting tired, but was too ramped up for sleep.  I pulled out his special car blanket and a favorite toy he often sleeps with.  He quickly snuggled with them and we turned his seat into the bed.  Tossing and turning ensued.  There was just too much going on.  We decided to let him watch a movie, hoping he'd quickly fall asleep.  We were wrong.  Before long, he was shouting "Go, go, go!  You can do it!" to Lightening McQueen in Cars.  I reminded him we needed to use quiet voices and he smiled sheepishly at me.  He still didn't fall asleep!  After a bit, he decided he needed to cuddle and snuggled with daddy.  Then he was out... for about an hour or so.


The rest of the flight was pretty "normal."  We experienced very little turbulence - thank goodness!  I watched a couple movies, pausing frequently to answer my little guy's questions, or to entertain him for a bit.  I pocketed the little bottle of Bailey's I was offered (What?!?).  We dug into some surprise presents that helped distract and entertain (by the way, Etch-a-sketch is a HUGE hit with 4 year olds).  I noticed that the flight attendants stopped by quite a bit, giving my son lots of attention.  I thought "wow!  This is service!"  Then later on, they told my husband they thought our son was so cute they kept coming up with reasons to stop by and spend time with him.  (Mom bragging right here!)

We gave him tons to drink, and sugar to suck on as we descended.  Then, just like that, we arrived.  We're in Japan.  Seriously.  This is actually happening.  The last two months of planning, purging, packing, saying goodbyes, and all the insanity have resulted in this - our arrival.  My son has been a trouper throughout the whole process, flight included.  And now I have to explain to him that traveling to Japan doesn't always mean a first-class flight. 

1 comment:

  1. We've gone first class once--actually, "just" Business Class, on British Airways, after a sympathetic check-in attendance upgraded us (after a 3.5 hour wait in the check in line on New Year's Eve).
    So.
    Hard.
    To.
    Fly.
    Economy.

    ReplyDelete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...