Friday, August 13, 2021

She shot me!

After (not so) patiently waiting for months, I finally got my first Covid vaccine this week. It honestly felt like this day was never going to come.

In Japan, you must first receive a voucher before you can get a vaccine. The vouchers are dispensed via mail by order of priority - based on age and health. I received my voucher a month and a half ago. But getting a voucher didn't guarantee me an appointment. We (meaning my husband) still had to do a lot of work to find an available appointment for me. After a lot of time spent on the phone and internet, he was able to secure a slot for me at a community center that the city has repurposed into a Covid vaccine clinic.

On Thursday, we spent our morning just like any other day. My husband and son ate breakfast while I slept in. My son did a bit of homework while I showered and my husband washed dishes. Before we knew it, it was 10am and time to go. We dropped our son off at our (wonderful) neighbor and hopped on our bikes. The community center was just a short 15 minute ride away.

Since we arrived about 10 minutes before my appointment time, we found no line. Instead, there was a greeter who had us sanitize our hands and take our temperature with a face scanner. After explaining my husband was with as my translator, the greeter double checked my appointment time and instructed us to go inside.


I was shocked to see the community center as a sterile environment. The floors were covered in paper with tape arrows. The walls were bare, void of any cheerful decorations that usually adorn the center. Mobile walls were strategically placed with black and white signs stating no cell phones or photos or video. It felt a bit creepy.

There were only 3 people ahead of me as we waited to check in. At the first stop I showed my paperwork and was told to go to the second station where a medical consultant double checked my paperwork and made sure I didn't have any questions. The third station was the healthcare professional who was going to give me my shot. After a couple questions (left arm or right arm and so forth), she got right to business and gave me my shot. While she was doing her job, I made a joke about wanting to drink alcohol. When people don't even make an effort to speak English, I just assume that they don't actually speak or understand English. This is a very bad habit that I obviously need to break. As she was giving my husband some notes (watch for a tingling sensation in my arm), she specifically told him I wasn't allowed to drink any alcohol for the rest of the day. Then she asked him if I drink on a daily basis! Note to self - stop joking in front of medical professionals.


Up next came station number 4 with more paperwork checking. The final station was a waiting room where I had to sit for 15 minutes. There was a big sign emphasizing no talking. So, everyone was simply staring at their phones.

Once my 15 minutes was up, I was free to leave. As we walked out of the building, I asked my husband if he put my next appointment in the calendar. After all, when he got his first shot, he was given a second appointment right then and there. It was the same for our neighbors. So, I assumed it would be the same for me. But they got their shots at private doctors offices, not a city run clinic. Instead, my husband had to seek out an appointment for me after 8pm.

Riding my bike back home brought a sense of relief that I haven't felt in over a year and a half. I know things are still incredibly scary out there (5,773 new cases in Tokyo today), but it felt just a little less scary than it did the day before.

Now I'm sporting a very sore arm, but a little brighter smile. Now I just have to patiently wait for shot number 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...