Friday, August 20, 2021

Big blue

On the rare occasion we rent a car, we try to fill our day with fun things. Desperate for a Costco run, my husband relented and rented a car. Unfortunately, this time, the weather wasn't going to cooperate for a fun day with outside adventures. But we weren't going to be deterred.

We decided to start our day with a quick stop at a blueberry farm for u-pick berries. At this particular farm, customers could pick if they wanted to nibble their way through the field or snack and pick to take home. Since getting to take any berries home from a u-pick is a rarity, I was excited to choose the latter. We can never have enough blueberries at home!

Lucky for us, it was only sprinkling when we arrived at the farm. We donned our ponchos and began to pick. I love farms that have a variety of berries, so we can find the type that we most enjoy.


Most blueberry fields I have seen in Japan, reside within a huge netting "cage". While it isn't very attractive, I would guess they don't loose huge crops to birds.


We picked an extra kilo (2.2 lbs) of berries to take home with us. My son was super excited, as he loves to have berries as snacks as well as with breakfast. I love to nibble on them, but also to cook with them! This time, I decided to make some jam with some of the berries (I also had some in the freezer, because I didn't want to use all the fresh berries for the jam).

I found a lovely recipe on foodinjars.com for cranberry-blueberry jam that doesn't use pectin. It is a very simple jam to make. I happened to have some leftover cranberries in the freezer from the holidays. Cranberries are not a common ingredient in Japan, so I was super happy to have these!


I was overjoyed to make the jam. Now my family has a couple jars, and I was able to gift a couple jars to the neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...