Saturday, April 17, 2021

Eye on the prize (Gunma Prefecture 3 of 3)

Back in 2003, my mom came to visit me in Japan. Before she came, she asked my nephew what he wanted her to buy for him. With a smile on his face, he declared he wanted a daruma doll. When she told me that is what he wanted, I replied with a resounding "huh?"

I had no clue what a Daruma was, nor where to find one. After asking around, I learned that the famous good luck charm is one of the most well known folk rituals in Japan. The doll, most commonly red in color, but also available in other colors, is purchased without any eyes painted onto its face. The owner tells the doll their wish, dream, or goal, entrusting the doll with their hopes. Once the wish has been shared with the Daruma, the person then paints the left eye onto the doll. After the wish has been fulfilled, they paint the right eye on as well.

The doll helps people to focus on defining their goals, working toward achieving those goals, as well as appreciating the outcome. Daruma takes expression "having both eyes open" to a new level, as it is a common Japanese attitude of focusing on success and wholeness.

Since learning about Daruma, I have seen them everywhere. I just hadn't noticed the quirky little round dolls beforehand.

While exploring Gunma prefecture, we had some extra time. So, my husband asked if we wanted to go to Syorinzan Daruma-Ji, where Daruma were first carved around the year 1680 following a flood. The temple itself was quite beautiful, with several flowering cherry trees around the grounds.


There are several buildings throughout the property, and lots of stairs taking you from one to the next. At the top of all these stairs is the Reifudo, the main hall that houses heaps of Daruma, as well as a small Daruma Museum (which is actually just an incredible collection of Daruma dolls).


The mountains of red, with splashes of other colors, were impressive and fun to see.


Although I love going to temples (and shrines) in general, there was something special about this one. I could have spent a lot more time there, enjoying the scenery (there is a lovely view from the top of all those stairs), and feeling the sense of peace that was blowing through the trees.


Stopping here was the perfect way to end our little adventure in Gunma prefecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...