Wednesday, July 1, 2020

I prefer kale

Some girls and guys like to receive bouquets of flowers to brighten their day.  While this brings a huge smile to my face, what really fills my heart with joy is a box full of organic vegetables.

Last week, I was scanning through Facebook and happened to notice a friend recommendation.  I don't typically pay any attention to these, but randomly decided to click on the link purely based on my other friends that person was friends with.  The person was posting about their farm, which offers a delivery service.  Immediately intrigued, I went to their website.  Kasamatsu Farms specialize in organic produce, which they deliver to the Kanto region (Tokyo is in the Kanto region).  

I immediately texted my husband - even though he was working upstairs in our bedroom.  "I HAVE to try this place!" I informed him.  He quickly replied with "I wish they offered a CSA!"  (CSA is community supported agriculture, usually defined as a crop share agreement.)

We placed our order over the weekend, when their "store" is open.  Since then, I have been (im)patiently waiting.  I didn't know what to expect.  Would the produce be wrapped in layers and layers of plastic packaging?  Would it be ample portions or tiny bites?  You just don't know until it actually shows up.

I was on a Facetime call when the doorbell rang this morning.  My friend delighted in seeing me shriek and race for the door.  After providing my hanko (name stamp), the delivery man gave me a nice sized box.

With my friend watching, I opened up the box and started digging inside, revealing all my treasures.  The first think I noticed was the newspaper everything was wrapped in.  There were only 2 pieces of plastic inside, wrapping our arugula and dill, very tender items that do better with a bit more protection.  My heart danced as I revealed our treasure of carrots, arugula, purple potatoes, dino kale, zucchini, and dill.  There was also a special gift of beets!


Everything looked so fresh, like I had pulled it from my own garden.  Even the greens, like the carrot tops, beet greens, dill, and arugula, were at peak perfection.  My heart soared!


Back in the states I ordered produce from farms to balance out what I grew at home.  But I have struggled finding the same thing in Japan.  If they deliver, it isn't organic.  It might be out there, but my husband hasn't found it.

After wrapping up my Facetime call, I joyfully made carrot top pesto, pickled beets (which I can't wait to add hard boiled eggs to in a couple days), and sautéed beet greens with breadcrumbs.  I wanted to use the most fragile items first.


By the time my son got home from school, I was wrapping up my time in the kitchen.  He excitedly perused the vegetable drawer, exclaiming over the huge bouquet of kale (he gets just as excited about vegetables as I do).  My favorite was when he opened the bag of dill, inhaled deeply, and said "momma, lets make pickles" in a hypnotic voice.

Dinner featured the sautéed beet greens with breadcrumbs with a garnish of carrot top pesto, which were promptly gobbled up.  The baked chicken and side of Israeli couscous with lentils was also good, but the real star was the greens.


I feel elated in a way that I haven't felt in a long time.  Not just from the delivery, but also from the amazing food I created in the kitchen using such beautiful ingredients.  Kasamatsu Farms has a new customer.  I can't wait to see what else they offer over the seasons.


*************
Carrot top pesto

1 clove garlic
1/4 cup macadamia nuts (or blanched almonds)
1 1/2 cups carrot top/leaves, removed from the stem
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup olive oil

  1. Place garlic and nuts in the food processor.  Pulse until coarse.
  2. Add carrot tops, basil, and parmesan.  Process until coarse.
  3. Slowly pour in olive oil while food processor is running.  
  4. Season with salt and pepper.

**************
Sautéed beet greens with breadcrumbs

2 tbsp. olive oil
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 lb beet greens, thinly sliced
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp. pesto

  1. Put oil and garlic in cold pan.  Heat to medium heat, stirring often until garlic starts to brown.
  2. Add beet greens and stir until wilted.  Don't put the lid on it, otherwise you will retain too much moisture.
  3. Stir in panko, continuing to cook for 3 minutes.
  4. Turn off the heat.  Add the pesto and stir in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...