Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Back to school for a minute

My son went to school today - for ten minutes.  We received an email last week letting us know that he (and a parent, if desired) needed to come to school today any time between 9 am and 10 am to drop off homework and pick up new materials.

We had received a small packet of Japanese writing exercises and fun with numbers worksheets when we attended his welcome ceremony, but had not received any new work since.  I've been doing lots of English and math, plus a bit of Japanese, art, and science with him each day.  However, I didn't have a plan of any kind.  It was just whatever I could find or think up on my own.

Upon entering the school, we were directed upstairs to his classroom.  Since we didn't arrive right at 9 am, his classroom had cleared out of the first round of students (which was intentional).  He washed his hands at a sink in the hallway and then used alcohol spray before entering the room and finding his desk.  Then he listed to a very short welcome speech by his sensei (teacher).


I loved peeking through the open door at him sitting at attention in his desk.  He is so eager for elementary school to officially start for him.  When the sensei asked a question, my son spoke clearly and projected so everyone could hear.  My mushy heart just melts because I think it is adorable to see him being such a big boy.

The school sent home a huge packet of work, including a schedule for the kids to adhere to.  I'm thankful for the direction, even if it means trying to follow someone else's agenda.  For 2 and a half hours each day, we will follow a schedule that will introduce my son to his textbooks and doing various activities related to school.  The person or people who put everything together obviously worked hard and were very thorough.

So tonight, my husband and I have homework!  My husband will translate the schedule while I make sure I understand everything that needs to be accomplished.  Wish us luck as we embark on this new adventure - officially homeschooling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...