Thursday, April 9, 2020

Growing projects

Each spring I get an itch to plant things and be in a garden.  This urge is nothing new for me.  Despite this feeling, I decided to not renew my pea patch (community garden plot or allotment).  The soil was very poor and I didn't have the capacity to nurture it when I didn't have the guarantee of keeping it long term (the city only promises you can use that same plot for 2 years).

Take this desire, plus the need to stay indoors and/or close to home these days, and I knew it was time to get creative with growing a bit of food.

While flipping through one of my son's books of science experiments, I saw some vegetable regrowth activities.  Feeling inspired, we grabbed a carrot top and decided to regrow the tops.  Carrot tops can actually be eaten.  I've made pesto with them and they can also be added to salads.  It has been fun to watch the leaves grow each day, as we can really see a difference in height.


Next we grabbed some peas and decided to try growing pea shoots using two methods - in a jar with a paper towel and in a small amount of seed starting soil.  After almost a week, the soil is the clear winner in the pea progress.  We might be able to eat those as early as next week!


We've also been growing things in containers in our rock garden.  The potatoes are doing great in their "potato bags" and the peas are happy campers.  We also planted chamomile (transplanted from the pea patch) and lettuce.  We've also started basil and beans.


It's been nice tending to the little plants as they grow big and strong.  I like having the touch of green right outside my door.  I spend some time out there everyday while my son gets some fresh air.  He loves to water them and look for changes in the plants.  In time, he'll be busy eating everything as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...