Sunday, January 19, 2020

Breakfast of champions

For the most part, Japan is not really into breakfast foods.  Traditionally, breakfast is leftover miso soup and rice.  For those that grew up on western breakfasts of cereal, pancakes, and eggs, a bit of soup and rice just doesn't fulfill the dreams of an epic breakfast.

These days, it is common for Japanese people to enjoy a slice of thick white bread with jam for breakfast.

While I desire to have filling breakfasts, I also want to eat something different all the time.

When we were living in the states, we loved going out for breakfast on weekend mornings.  We would drive across town looking for amazing omelets, pancakes, and, my most favorite, biscuits and gravy.  Although I miss these fun starts to a Saturday or Sunday, I know it is just not part of the culture here.  Japan has a lot of offer, but their breakfast fare is much to be desired.

On Saturday morning, my husband surprised me by taking me and our son out for breakfast to a restaurant in Ikebukuro (before our randoseru purchasing adventure).  I didn't ask questions.  I just followed him as he lead us through the streets.  After all, I don't think a hard boiled egg and toast is something to get excited about.

But when we arrived, I was taken aback.  Eggs, a restaurant from Brooklyn, was an homage to classic American breakfasts.  Omelets, pancakes, and biscuits and gravy were waiting for us to enjoy.  I could have cried.  I didn't realize how much I was missing it until the moment I was sitting there waiting for my food to arrive.  I was overcome with craving that would quickly be satisfied.


Until my food arrived, I happily distracted myself with a cup of tea from the tea bar and my son entertained himself by drawing on the paper tablecloth.


When our orders arrived, my son was overjoyed with his pancakes and "dessert" toppings of sautéed apples and ice cream.  My husband was thrilled with his eggs, toast, hashbrowns, and salad.  But when my breakfast arrived, I found myself raising my eyebrows.


My husband and I finally decided that the restaurant had "Japan-ified" the biscuits and gravy.  Instead of fluffy biscuits served on a plate with thick, creamy gravy, the dish was biscuits in a sausage cream soup.  Although that may not be a very appetizing description, it actually was pretty tasty.  It was just a bit different that what I was expecting.

Going to enjoy an American breakfast was a complete surprise.  It was beyond sweet of my husband to research and find it for us to enjoy.  Little bits of home make life here so much easier.  It is like a little recharge to my batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...