Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A cookie crumbles

My husband and I have a disagreement regarding some of my purchases in the US.  He thinks I need to simply buy the Japanese version of things instead of buying a ton of things in the US and bringing them back with me each time we go and visit.

One of our biggest contentions is over toothpaste.  I'm not joking.  My husband thinks I am snobby about my preference for American toothpaste.  I think I'm justified in my snobbiness.  And, frankly, they are MY teeth!  So, I will clean them however I want.

Today my son and I got to go to the dentist for our twice yearly cleaning.  We both got two thumbs up and a gold star for having no cavities and good brushing skills.  It always feels great to walk out of that appointment knowing we are taking extra good care of our teeth.

Before we left, I asked Dr. Suzuki for a toothpaste recommendation and told him my hesitation.  He explained that many people feel a difference between American-made toothpaste and Japanese-made toothpaste.  While the formulas are similar, American toothpaste contains a lot more polishing agents which leave teeth feeling more "squeaky clean."  So, there really are reasons why people prefer one over the other.

Since I prefer toothpaste for sensitive teeth, he told me about one brand that is actually Sensodyne toothpaste, a popular American brand, that sells under a different name in Japan.  Same toothpaste, different packaging.


I'm so glad I asked.  Otherwise, I'd never know.  It doesn't mean there won't be toothpaste in my suitcase in the future.  But at least I know what brand to buy it I ever have the need!

As it turns out, I happened to buy that exact toothpaste when I ran out before our last trip to the US.  Makes me laugh to know the one I grabbed was the "right one."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...