Sunday, October 27, 2019

We went up, up, up

A while ago another Hike it Baby mom and I decided to host a hike on a trail.  Many of the hikes with the Tokyo branch are at parks - which is great, but sometimes we just want to be out on a trail.  I find this yearning so funny since my mom always tried to drag me hiking and I almost never wanted to go.  In those years, I didn't feel suffocated by the city and lived in a place with beautiful green landscapes all around me.  Although we live right next to a fantastic park, sometimes it just isn't enough.  In Japanese they say I need "shinrin yoku" or "forest bathing," a cleansing that only nature can provide.  Science has proven that walking through the woods can boost immunity, reduce stress, and improve sleep (among other things).

Eager to hit the hills, my husband, son, and I got up bright and early and headed out.  Mount Kinsho was calling our name.

We took a couple trains to reach Tobu Takezawa Station, meeting with our friends on the train heading out of town.  When we arrived at the station, we saw several signs warning of a local poisonous snake.  Undaunted, we headed to the trailhead.


Just a short 5 minute walk from the station, we found ourselves immersed in the woods.  The trail was rather wet from the recent rains, but we trekked on.  We walked past a lovely stream.  Soon the trail headed up and we left the stream behind.


The hill quickly included stairs.  I've been on lots of trails with stairs and these ones were not too intense.  It does help that we were hiking with two young kids.  One thing I like about hiking with young ones is that they go slow enough that the adults can really enjoy the scenery!

Photo credit to my HiB friend!
Photo credit to my HiB friend!  She takes amazing photos.
We stopped several times for drinks and snacks as well as several spider sightings.  After an hour and a half, we made it to the top.  (The map said it should take us 40 minutes, but short legs take longer.)  The view was awesome, especially when we realized we could see Tokyo.  The boys took turns looking through binoculars at buildings in the distance, mountains, and countless butterflies.

Photo credit to my HiB friend!

It was a wonderful time breathing the fresh air and hanging out with a friend.

Just a short distance past the summit, is the Ogawa Genki Plaza Community Center.  We were super excited to go there, but found ourselves disappointed to find out we missed the planetarium show.  But we didn't let it get us down, we continued on our way to Yoshida's Farmhouse and exploring the Ogawa area.

While walking back toward the station, we realized that our train wasn't for another 40 minutes.  So, we took our time getting back to the station.  Trains only pass through two or three times an hour depending on the time of day.  As we walked up to the station, we realized we had three minutes to get onto the platform.  But as we hurried down the steps, my husband herded us over to the right side of the stairs.  He then mentioned that going up the other side was a mamushi or Japanese pit viper, the poisonous snake all the signs warned us about!!!

With a few shrieks released, we ran to the ticket gate where my husband reported the snake to the rail staff.  They got the message and we proceeded onto the platform with moments to spare.

It was a fabulous day.  The weather was perfect.  The kids had a blast.  The adults enjoyed the outing and time together.  Plus, everybody got a good dose of shinrin yoku.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...