Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Tasting the finished product

Back in January, I was able to join a class making miso.  I really, really enjoyed the class.  The most challenging part was sticking my precious miso into a closet and leaving it alone for months. 

I pulled it out over a month ago.  It had a small amount of mold on the surface.  I was devastated.  How could this have happened?  Why?  Why?  My husband suggested we just scoop of the small amount of mold, spray it with alcohol again and put it back for another month.  With a heavy heart, I followed the suggestion. 

When I pulled it back out again last week, I discovered it worked.  I was elated.  Miso is such a special ingredient to all Japanese cooking.  I have wanted to make it for years.  I've tried and failed in the past.  Finally succeeding was so delicious.

After putting the miso in a jar and leaving it in the fridge overnight, it was time to do something with it. 


I decided to marinate some pork in it.  The recipe is simple and quick, but would allow me to really taste the miso.  I mixed equal parts of miso and mirin into a paste.  I rubbed the paste onto thinly sliced pork chops and let it marinate for 2 hours. 

While the pork marinated, I made a quick carrot salad consisting of grated carrot, toasted walnuts, and tangerine vinegar.  I also cooked rice and heated some frozen asparagus (because fresh is insanely expensive here at ¥500/$4.70 for 4 stalks). 

I simply pan fried the pork for a minute or two on each side.  Super fast and easy.


Everyone raved at the table.  My husband and son are really appreciative when I make something that takes effort and love to create.  Of course that could be said about anything, but special things like miso get special praise.

Dinner was fantastic.  I can't wait to make more things with my miso.  And I really can't wait to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...