Monday, July 29, 2019

The award of a lifetime

In less than a year (361 days to be exact), the Olympics will premiere in Tokyo.  We see more and more signs of the big event around town.  Recently my husband saw on TV that we could go see the actual metals at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.  They are only on display for a short time (until July 31), so my son and I made it a priority to go see them while we had the chance.


I've never really been a sports person, but the Olympics is exciting nonetheless.  While I'm not a sports fan, there is something for everyone.  Part of it is the anticipation, since the event is only every two years.  Another part of the excitement is feeling a unity of everyone cheering together. 

For me, all the people and teams are worth cheering for.  I grew up in the era of Wheaties, where Olympian were featured on the box long after the games had ended.  These athletes were admired because they were amazing.  Each time I watch the Olympics, I flashback to this same feeling of reverence. 

We arrived at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building shortly after 10:30 am.  Although it opened at 9, my son and I chose to avoid the crowded morning rush on the train, knowing we would have to wait longer in the end.  After a stressful ride the other day, where my son almost lost his shoe trying to get off a packed train, I felt it was better to give him a bit more time before forcing him back into another sardine experience.

The line was long, but we made the best of it.  At first he found benches to sneak off to while I kept our place in line.  Up next, he enjoyed a couple snacks of cashews and crackers.  We played a clapping game where I would clap a rhythm and he would repeat it back.  Finally, we amused each other with a game of shiritori (she-re-tor-re) - a game where one person says a Japanese word, and the next person has to say a word using the last syllable of the first person's word.  All this entertainment made the wait fly by.  Soon it was our turn to see the metals.


I don't really know what I was expecting.  Other than the knowledge that the medals were made from recycled phone and computer parts, but seeing the gold, silver, and bronze medals was exciting and fun. 


After seeing the medals (which we were only allowed to take three photos of), we saw that we would be able to actually HOLD the Olympics torch!  I was floored!  I saw the torch once in person when they went running past a bookstore I was in.  Never in a million years did I ever think I would hold one!  No matter how far-from-athletic I am, I will always be able to say that I held the Olympic torch.


I learned baseball/softball will be returning to the games and 4 sports will be making their first appearance.  Karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing will all be featured in the 2020 Olympics. 


The whole experience made me very excited for the Olympics.  Much more than I have been.  So many exiting things to look forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...