Wednesday, June 26, 2019

My favorite little town

Whenever we have visitors, I always take them to Kawagoe.  It is such a wonderful little town.  We hop on the train to Kawagoe Station and take the bus to the far end of Kurazukuri Zone (the old storehouse area of town).  This way we wander from the furthest point back to the train station.

Each time I go, I fall in love with the area again.  I see new sights and am entranced by the aesthetics. 


There are so many little details to the neighborhood - especially the statues and other art pieces all over the place. 


From fantastic roof lines to amazing flooring, all you have to do is look around to see something new.


While having a cup of tea with my friend and my son, I was suddenly choked up.  I felt like I was really sharing a piece of Japan that is rarely seen.  Even though we were only shopping and wandering around, Kawagoe is a place that makes people feel like "I really am in JAPAN!"  It is so fun to watch their faces light up with delight.


As we picked out chopsticks for my friend's home, we chatted about how many people list Japan as a place they'd like to visit sometime in their life.  When I take them to such a fun town, I really feel like I am helping them make their dreams come true.  There are so many places in Tokyo that you don't even feel like you're in Japan.  But Kawagoe is a magical world that brings the dream into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...