Sunday, April 21, 2019

All the tiny things

Miniature versions of things are very popular in Japan.  I am surprised by the delight people take in the tiny things arena.  My husband and son enjoy collecting and playing with tiny food, but that is just the cusp of the fascination here.

When my husband saw there was going to be an art exhibit featuring miniatures, he was excited to go.  We ventured out to the 5th floor gallery in Asakusa.  Inside there were several tiny displays of the tiniest tiny things I've ever seen.  Many were displayed as little stores or rooms.


There were also photos of tiny things and videos showing how some of them were made. 


I don't know if this experience was very "Japanese", but I've never seen anything like it in the US.  Also, I doubt most people would stand in line for over a half an hour (like we did) to see the exhibit of tiny things.  However, Tokyoites love their lines and are always willing to stand in one.  Finally, the tiny things were an amazing representation of Japanese life - from the stores, to traditional crafts and goods, as well as commonly found items. 


It was interesting to see all the tiny things.  The most memorable thing for me was the tiny scissors that actually open and closed, as well as fit on the tip of a finger.  It was pretty incredible.


Although the wait was long to get in the door, it was a pretty fun activity.  My son wanted to buy several things.  But the only thing that wasn't tiny in that gallery were the prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...