Monday, April 22, 2019

A list of chores

As I prepare for a trip to the states, I had a list of chores to complete today.  Do the laundry.  Plant the tomatillos.  Pick up a crate from the hardware store.  Water the plants at the garden.  Pack the bags.  I also had a meeting with my son's teacher at his school (meet and greet, as well as discuss expectations of the school year). 

I worked through my list, pausing to chat with my husband who was working from home and later to FaceTime a friend.  I've always liked getting through a task list.  It makes me feel accomplished.

As I biked through the city on my couple of errands, I noted how there isn't space between the buildings.  Everything is just crammed together.  Even if there are spaces between, they are filled with things.  Everything has purpose, it isn't just there.  Utilization is everywhere. 

I rely on the spaces of life.  It gives me more direction.  When checking off my tasks, it is important to take a moment to enjoy the accomplishment.  For me, without space, you cannot appreciate the structure.

I weaved around the park and down the streets, suddenly I stopped.  There, hanging in front of me was blooming wisteria.  It was a simple piece of natural beauty.  It made me smile and reflect on how I need to look beyond the grey and white buildings into the beauty.  The locals do not see the same crammed bookshelf.  They see the quality of the titles and the adventures to be discovered in the pages.  I often have this same view, but only when I am able to rejuvenate by getting away from it all for a bit.


I'm looking forward to a trip to see family and friends.  And while I am there, I will be thinking of the wisteria waiting for me back in Japan.  That's the funny thing about being an expat.  Over time, your heart holds a special love for every place you call home.


****************************************************
I will be taking a break from writing while I am away.  I'll be back at the computer as soon as I return to Japan.  Until then... Matane (maw-ta-neigh) or See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...