Thursday, March 28, 2019

Back to Ueno

As we were wandering around Ueno Park last year, I remember thinking to myself that it would be great to go back during cherry blossom season.  There is a lovely section of the park that is lined with cherry trees that would be gorgeous in the very early spring.  After that day though, I completely forgot about it.

When it came time to figure out activities to do with my son during spring break, Ueno Zoo came to mind.  It isn't very far from us and the entrance fee is really cheap (¥600 for adults and free for my 5 year old).  I asked some friends to come along, and they were keen to join us.  It wasn't until we were on the train that I realized that the park would be full of blooms.  As soon as it hit me, my anticipation began to rise.

As soon as we walked up to the park, the trees took our breath away.  Cherry trees in full bloom are so beautiful.  They look like fluffy clouds decorating trees.


The path from our train station (Ueno-Okachimachi Station) to the zoo was lined with the trees, and was full of people admiring those trees.  It was a bit difficult to keep track of all 6 of us at times, but we managed by putting the kids in bright colors and relying on the blonde hair on the teenagers and adults.  Although there are lots of tourists in Ueno Park, most of them do not have light colored hair.


As we neared the zoo, we began to notice that the sides of the wide walkway was cordoned off.  We soon realized it was for hanami, picnicking under the blooming cherry tree.  It seemed as if the areas were reserved, but we were not sure.  When we left the zoo several hours later, most of these sitting areas were filled with groups eating and drinking, as they admired the trees above.


The zoo was fun, as usual.  I'm still a bit depressed by the concrete cages that some of the animals live in, but it is what it is.  I see them building new enclosures that will give the animals space to roam and things to interact with (like climbing structures and lots of greenery for the pandas) that gives me hope that this zoo is working to build a better, more animal centric zoo.


After the zoo, we hit the Starbucks for some caffeine and then we wandered back through the blossom lined path toward the train headed home.  It was even more crowded in the afternoon, as everyone wants to enjoy the blooming trees.  I really can't blame them.  It is a really beautiful sight.


Even though I forgot how much I wanted to go here, I'm so glad serendipity brought me back in time to see the sakura.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...