Monday, August 27, 2018

A night of reflection

August 27th, 2017 was a big day for our family.  It was on this day that we boarded a plane to move to Japan.  It was one year ago that we departed the starting line for adventures unknown.

It is really hard to comprehend a year.  We have had so many ups and downs.  Adventures were balanced with quiet days at home.  Everyone started a new place of business - my husband in his office, while my son and I both attended school.  We have felt joy and longing.  And, maybe most importantly, we've grown as a family into a stronger unit.

My husband brought me flowers to commemorate surviving a year in Japan.  Just a small celebratory token for us to enjoy for the next few days.  Shortly after he came home, we sat down to dinner.  I put the flowers in a vase on the table.  We then sat and ate and discussed the year we just had.


We talked about how much our son loves his school and how he's so good at making new friends.  My husband reported how much he loves feeling so safe and being able to eat so much really good Japanese food.  And I mentioned how incredible it has been learning about and sharing the culture with our son.  We've had so much fun going to festivals and celebrating holidays.

There have been lots of things that have been hard.  Our son thinks there are too many people in train stations and on the trains.  My husband does not like his commute and misses our chickens and yard much more than he thought he would.  And me, well, I don't think there are any surprises there.  I get so frustrated with the language barrier.  I pine for my animals, yard, garden, and house in the US.  Sometimes I think my heart is going to burst from how much I miss my friends and family back home.  But we work together and get through rough days and find things that bring us joy.

We have created some amazing new memories.  My husband has been able to share hanabi with our son - both small and big.  We all had such a great time in Shikinejima, exploring some of Japan's natural beauty.  New Year's was extremely special for our family.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Having friends and family come visit us has been a highlight.  After all distance make the heart grow fonder, right?  It was so much fun showing them a little bit of our new world.

So many emotions have been bubbling up recently.  One year into this crazy adventure called life in Japan.  Today's weather was an awful lot like our emotional year.  We reached a high of 36°C/97°F in the afternoon.  Then my husband walked home in the pouring rain, barely missing the incredible lighting storm.  Now it is calm.  The city is taking a slow, deep breath after a crazy day.


It has been a rollercoaster year since that flight.  It has not been easy to say the least.  But together, we can do anything, including living in Japan.

1 comment:

  1. I feel lucky we've had our year away. It's made us respect what we had, and appreciate more--and of course, we haven't had to experience such a huge language and culture barrier. I admire you for many things: you've kept your heart and mind open. You've worked to support you son and husband. And you continue to explore, learn, and welcome change. What a great mom. What a great person! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...