Saturday, April 7, 2018

Takoyaki time!

Takoyaki is one of those foods that from the moment you bite into it, you know you are in Japan.  It isn't popular overseas and rarely seen outside of Japan.  It was first created in Osaka, and I have loved it since my first taste.  Of course, I prefer my husband's above all others. 

Takoyaki is typically described as octopus balls, but it is more accurately described as savory balls of dough with octopus (tako) inside. 

He made it for the me for the first time when we were dating.  I had purchased the special pan and he came to my apartment to make it for me.  I had tried by myself and failed miserably.  I hadn't used enough oil in the new cast iron pan and it stuck so badly.  My friends and I ended up using spoons to scrape out the cooked dough and fillings.  When he came, he properly seasoned my pan and made a delightful dinner for the two of us.  There's more than one reason I married him.

I love the taste of takoyaki, but I also love the fact that you make it in the middle of the table.  It makes for a fun meal.  Similar to our gyoza parties, everyone gets in one the action.

We have both been wanting to make takoyaki for some time now.  We've seen it being made at a few festivals (Aki Matsuri) and even a storefront shop or two.  But we have for the most part not partaken in the tasty treat.  That is, until today.  We went to the grocery store, purchased the ingredients, and got to work.

My husband whipped up the batter of dashi (fish broth), flour, eggs, and nagaimo (a sticky root vegetable).  We then heated up the special takoyaki pan, a griddle with half dome shaped indents.  He poured in the batter, then we plopped one or two pieces of octopus in each indent.  We then sprinkled finely chopped green onions, pickled ginger, tiny freeze dried shrimp, and tempura bits onto the top. 


Very quickly, we started scrapping and turning to transform the domes into balls.  There is a certain finesse required to get the balls to properly form, but with a little bit of practice, it is easily done. 


After fully cooked, we pile them up on our plates and top them with tonkatsu sauce, mayonnaise, nori (seaweed), and bonito (dried, shaved skipjack; a relative of tuna).  At last we get to dig in and eat until we are stuffed.


While takoyaki might not appeal to everyone, I think it is delicious.  Every time I eat it, not only do I enjoy the flavor, it also fills me with happy memories of dinners with special friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...