Friday, January 19, 2018

Wait, what is that?

Sometimes when I see something, I will stop and say "Wait, what is that?"  Many times I don't understand what I am seeing, and I need someone to explain it to me.  However, sometimes I am just amazed at the ingenuity. 

Vending machines that accept money from your prepaid train pass:


You're traveling from here to there and just need a drink - coffee, tea, water, beer, whatever.  But, you don't have any cash.  Japan is a cash society.  Very few places take credit cards.  More and more are each day, but it doesn't matter.  You are thirst right now.  Luckily many of the vending machines now have this little touch pad to tap your prepaid train pass on and it will deduct the amount for your drink!  Most locals have train passes.  It saves so much time and is just easier.  Simply put a set amount onto a card and then tap it on the gate as you enter and exit.  The machines calculate how much your trip costs and often gives you a small discount.  And now you can grab your coffee with it as well.

Charge your phone at dinner:


You're out to dinner and need directions home, but you don't have enough battery to use the GPS on your phone.  Well, you're in luck, because many restaurants have a plug in attached to the leg of your table just for this purpose.  Now, I have seen this in Starbucks for a while now, but restaurants?  I haven't seen that before.  This could be utilized for your laptop as you munch on yakitori with coworkers.  Charge your phone while you dine on ramen with friends.  It makes so much sense!

Kid sized facilities:


There are miniature bathrooms in Japan, just for kids!  My son loves doing his business in these bathrooms made just for him.  The toilet, urinal, sink, and hand dryer are all smaller versions and down low!  In case you are seeking one of these fancy places for your little ones, in my experience they are only in fancy (aka super expensive) shopping areas.  However, it is common to see a very low set urinal in the women's bathroom, because it is assumed mommies bring their little ones into the bathroom with them.  But when the kid specific bathrooms are spotted and used, it is thrilling.  Kids love kid sized stuff!  (I consider this a bonus for moms, too, because these facilities are always super nice and clean!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...