Sunday, December 24, 2017

Fun with the girls

Being a mom is hard work.  I love my son more than anything in the world.  He is fantastic in every sense of the word.  He is fun, entertaining, and interesting.  I love spending time with him and I feel so blessed to be able to spend so much time with him.  But sometimes I need a break.  I'm not very good at what many people call "self care."  I tend to put other people's needs first.  So, when I was invited to the party, I decided it would be a good opportunity to have a fun night out.  My husband did a little research and found out that the local amusement park, Toshimaen, was having fireworks on the same night, so it worked out that everyone had plans.

The park moms (as I like to call them) had organized a year end party, called a bonenkai.  Bonenkais are very popular gatherings at the end of the year to celebrate as a group (co-workers, school friends, and other types of groups that people belong to).  They usually consist of sitting around talking, eating, and drinking - mostly relaxing and enjoying each other's company and celebrating the end of the year.

Our evening started with a potluck.  I love participating in a potluck with these ladies.  They are all really good cooks and they exclaim over my contributions, which always makes me feel so good.  It is always a gamble when I make American food whether people will like it or not.  I brought twice baked butternut squash and banana bread to share.  The butternut squash was a risk to bring since it isn't a popular squash here.  But, both dishes were big hits. 

We met up in a rented room (you don't usually meet at people's homes here because they tend to be small and not very conducive to a party, and we don't have a work space!).  Each person contributes ¥100 ($1) to help pay for the room.  Then we sit around for 4 hours just eating, drinking, and talking.  And lots of laughing. 

At 9:00 we cleaned the room and headed out.  It was time to go to karaoke (pronounced car-a-okay).  We rode our bikes a short distance to the karaoke shop - a second floor business consisting of a hallway with lots of doors.  Each door opened to a little room with tables and benches and a television screen.  It is easy to stay in these rooms for a vey long time because they don't have windows, there is food and drink service, and entertainment!  We piled into the little room and started singing our little hearts out. 

Karaoke hallway - photo curtesy of www.halfwayanywhere.com
Karaoke room - photo curtesy of www.halfwayanywhere.com

During renditions of "Let it Go" and "Country Roads" (and many Japanese songs, too), I sat there thinking about how I am so lucky to have found this group of women.  When I was living in the US, I had an amazing village of moms that have been along this crazy journey of parenthood every step of the way.  I was and am so sad to have an ocean between us.  Many have kept in touch in various ways, which has meant the world to me and my son.  There is nothing like an amazing community of women who support each other and are there through thick and thin.  Since many of the moms here live far away from their families and their husbands are away from home 14+ hour a day, they need people to rely on.  I am trying to find my way in this new community and culture with an immense language barrier.  Their friendship and kindness has really helped me so much in my transition to Japanese life.  Although they won't replace my village in Seattle, the park moms have become my new village.   

Going to the potluck and karaoke last night was so much fun.  I haven't had that kind of reenergizing time in a long time.  This morning I felt revitalized and ready for the day.  I sure am a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...