Friday, November 24, 2017

The gift of autumn

Since we have been spending so much time in the park, I've been enjoying the gifts of autumn.  Despite the cold, there have been many sunny days.  It has been a glorious time to be outside.  Today we once again joined Piyo Piyo for some outdoor playing. 


We dug up some mud and moved it to a sunny location where there was a bench set up with some tools for kids to make mud pies with.  We piled up leaves in another area for kids to make soup or whatever else their imagination allowed. 

My son decided to gather leaves and acorns into a treasure box while on a short walk through different areas of the park.  We first stopped under a bright yellow tree, that was practically lit up with color.  After wandering over a hill, we found a pile of leaves to kick through.  We discovered a small bamboo grove that was exciting for the kids to get "lost" in.  Then we climbed up the biggest hill to sit in the sunshine and look at what everyone had collected.  It was very interested, but quickly dissolved into the children chasing each other around playing tag.  I guess no matter where you are in the world, some things are always the same.


My husband had the day off, and joined us at the park.  It was so nice to be there as a family.  He could see what we are up to all the time beyond just the stories that we tell.


Spending our days in the park isn't a "Japanese experience."  It is something people do all over the world.  However, it is how we are choosing to spend our days at the moment.  Beyond Piyo Piyo, we have joined a group of moms that go to the park every day.  Someone is always there from 10 am until 4:30 pm - rain or shine.  They set up sitting mats in an area near some trees, a pond (the one my son fell into), and a shelter (that they utilize when it rains).  I met these moms at Piyo Piyo and they are quickly becoming my circle of friends.  They are an amazing support system to each other and me.  Every Friday 1/3 of the moms go to an organic produce store, while the other moms stay back and watch the kids.  They have a whole system for shopping, because the moms that go also get the produce for the moms watching the kids.  If one mom is going to a special store, they ask the other moms if they want anything.  Recently, one mom went to a Chinese noodle factory and they purchased noodles and gyoza (potsticker) wrappers for me.  My husband was so excited and enjoyed the noodles very much.  They also bring catalogs and purchase large orders together to get free shipping and extras that they split.  I just bought 5 kg of whole wheat bread flour as part of their order from a flour company from Hokkaido!  I can't wait to bake bread in my oven.


We spend the day taking care of our kids and chatting about anything that comes to mind.  They have answered so many questions for me as I discover this new city.  We don't always understand what the others are saying and whip out our phones for help.  Needing a translator doesn't stop us from being friends and helping each other out. 


By joining this group, I feel like I am discovering a side of Japan I've never been privy to before.  I am seeing families at play and during their daily life.  I am learning about priorities of moms as they tend their children.  I am quickly feeling like I belong to a community and am not just an outsider brought in to entertain or be a trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...