Saturday, November 25, 2017

No tattoos allowed

You see the signs all over.  Tattoos are not welcome in Japan.  I have a small one that has always been the butt of jokes in Japan.  I got it in college, and I love it very much.  It has a lot of personal meaning for me.  But every time I walk into an onsen or many other public places, we point out the sign and laugh.  The signs at the front door state in no uncertain terms: no tattoos allowed.  But mine is so small and inconspicuous that I don't usually worry about it. 

Photo credit: https://blog.gaijinpot.com

Today I had my first public shaming for having a tattoo.  My husband was on call for his job, so I took my son to his parent and me swimming lessons.  I didn't see "the sign" anywhere and I didn't think to pack my band aids to cover it up. 

After changing into our suits and donning the regulatory swimming cap, we entered the pool area and sat near the pool to wait for the class to start.  When the teacher was ready to call roll, we gathered in close.  At first I was sitting on my feet trying to sit in a nice Japanese way.  But soon my feet began to feel tingly, so I let them drift off to the side.  Suddenly, the teacher gasped and called one of the other teachers over.  She pointed right at me and said something that I have no idea what was.  She walked up to me and pointed right at my foot and said matter-of-factly that tattoos were not allowed and I needed to cover it up (in Japanese, so this is my simplistic translation).  Next she pointed to my small stud earrings.  Another no-no, apparently.  I felt embarrassed and more than a little annoyed.  How was I to know?  If there had been a sign, I would have covered up (but I still wouldn't have known about the earrings).

I lamely asked "right now?"  And she firmly shook her head yes.  I pointed at my son and another teacher called him over and he jumped into her arms.  I followed one of the teachers (by the way there are 4 for this class) over to the lifeguard office where they gave me tape to cover up my tattoo and earrings. 

At least they didn't turn me away.  I've heard of that happening.

There is a long history of associating tattoos with troublemakers, including the Japanese mafia.  Yep, there's a Japanese mafia.  It doesn't matter how cute or inspiring or ... well, anything.  The stigma is there. 

When there is a next time when my foot needs to be "revealed," I already know - cover it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...