Monday, October 16, 2017

Loofahs

Today it rained and I was in a funk.  I felt trapped inside, not wanting to head out into a world I couldn't communicate in.  All I wanted to do was stay at home and FaceTime with loved ones.  But FaceTime can be like a dessert when you're on a diet.  It feels so good while you're doing it, but the guilt is so bad afterwards.  After talking with a dear friend or family member, my heart aches and I miss home so much.  I miss time with friends where we just talk about whatever comes to mind for extended periods of time.  I miss being able to relax when my son is playing with other kids because I know that they will most likely play nicely.  I just feel unsettled and I don't like to be unsettled.  It is starting to wear on me and I'm having a hard time faking it until I make it. 

I think part of the negative attitude comes from the lack of independence I am feeling.  I have all these fancy new appliances, but I can't use them without a thorough walkthrough from my husband.  Even then, if I run into an issue (or miss a step), I'm up a creek until he comes home (unless I feel it's worthy of bothering him while at work).  I had to change what I was going to cook for dinner because I couldn't figure out how to use the oven.  It makes me feel like a moron to say that, but I didn't want to chance breaking it by accidently telling it to self destruct versus roast my veggies.

I couldn't capture the very intimidating screen with
tons of options, all in Japanese of course!

My son and I did go for a walk in the rain to get him new rain boots and stop by the Jidokan (community center) to play for a bit.  As we walked home, I wavered between being bothered by the cold and wet and appreciating the gentle start to the change in colors of the leaves. 


For dinner, we had some seriously disappointing tacos.  I was excited to see a taco kit at an import shop at the department store.  I should have known better.  I'd never buy something like that in Seattle.  Why would I here?  But I did, and I now my stomach is emphasizing the grave mistake. 

The most exciting part of the day started yesterday with a gift of a loofah (or luffa) gourd at the community festival.  I had always thought loofahs came from the ocean floor, but that is a common myth.  They are actually the overgrown fruit from a fibrous variety of cucumber plant.  When left to dry on the vine, the flesh disappears, leaving the sponge structure.  My husband translated the directions last night for me.  (They were vastly different from any directions I found on YouTube.)  First, I cut the gourd into five large rounds.  Then, I boiled the rounds for 20 minutes.  Afterwards, I rinsed the boiled loofah and removed the seeds and skin, which easily peeled off.  Finally, I hung it to dry.  I'm looking forward to use the sponges in the shower and for washing dishes.  I saved some of the seeds to maybe grow some next year.  They are often grown in Asia as a natural sun shade.  That would be nice!


But the best part of the day was my husband.  He came home after a long day at work and quickly heated the taco shells in the oven.  He told me dinner was good, even though I knew it was yucky. (In his defense, he also said he was starving.)  He took our son for a quick bike ride to the store and brought home a label maker as well as flowers for me.  He brought comfort on a rainy day.  I'm so very grateful for him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...