Saturday, December 25, 2021

All I want for Christmas

I doubt it comes as any surprise, but all I want for Christmas is… family and friends and good cheer! As the big day draws near, I am working hard to make it the best Christmas in Japan yet.

I still have to remind myself every year that Christmas is not a holiday in Japan. It is simply a fun commercial experience that many people have bought into. I was overjoyed when I realized that this would be the first year since moving here that my husband and son would be home all day for Christmas! No work and no school!!! I can’t wait to have my boys all day as we open presents, eat a wonderful meal, and make it as joyful as we can.

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked to teach a cooking lesson to a small group of moms from my son’s school. They wanted to learn what American’s actually eat on Christmas (some people still think everyone in the US eats fried chicken from KFC). I decided to teach them to make dressing (as I never stuff a turkey) and fudge. One of the moms offered her kitchen and another mom helped me shop for ingredients. This past Tuesday, we all gathered for a lesson and lunch. It was so fun teaching these moms how to make foods that represent the holiday for me. Beyond the dressing and fudge, I brined chicken breasts and pre-made cranberry sauce. This, combined with a salad, served as our lunch. While eating, we talked about Christmas traditions and how it is celebrated differently in the two countries. I went home with such a full heart. It was an incredible blessing to be able to share with these ladies.


Little did I know, the real warm fuzzies would come today. Starting first thing this morning, I started receiving texts as the moms started the process of recreating the meal for their families. I was overcome with holiday cheer as a teacher and as a fellow mom, knowing that they were sharing their new knowledge and it was blessing their tables.

Whenever I have felt exceptionally distanced this holiday season, little things have been gifted to me to bring me cheer. It is almost like little Christmas elves at work. Dark nights were combated with incredible illuminations (holiday light displays). Grumpiness over having to listen to 800 versions of “Last Christmas” and “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” (songs that I detest) was irradiated when my husband made me a Christmas play list that only contains my favorite holiday tunes. And an isolated feeling will be demolished when some friends join us tomorrow for Christmas dinner.

As a special treat, my husband ordered a turkey on Amazon for us to enjoy on Christmas Day! It arrived 2 days ago, frozen solid. We debated for a long time about what size to get - our oven is about the size of a microwave! Despite knowing it was going to be a small bird, I still laughed out loud when I pulled the 6.5 pound bird out of the box. I swear I’ve cooked chickens that were bigger! But it doesn’t matter. I still, for the very first time, get to have turkey and turkey soup and turkey sandwiches!!! That, in itself, has brought me so much Christmas cheer. Getting to share it with another family will make it that much better.

While Christmas here will never be anything like Christmas with my extended family back in the US, it is nice to embrace it as our own and celebrate as much as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...