Friday, July 2, 2021

Safety patrol

My son's school has asked for volunteers for "Safety Patrol". They need parents to come and keep tabs on who enters the school, making sure that they need to be there.

It is a strange concept for me because in the US, the schools I attended hired people to do this. But here, it is different.

While I am so excited that I have found a way to volunteer at my son's school (I've actually been told I would be "too much trouble" by the current PTA president and discouraged from volunteering), but it is also weird for me. Why would they ask parents to do this? I just think a professional would be a better choice. But, it isn't how it is done here.

On the positive side, I am thrilled to be able to spend three hours in the company of a friend (we volunteer in pairs and my friend and I have signed up together). Plus, we are rewarded for our volunteering with lunch. My friend told me that many parents volunteer for the safety committee specifically to eat the school lunch


While the school lunch was more delicious than any school lunch I ever had in the US (my son's school has an onsite kitchen and they only use fresh fruit and vegetables), the real highlight for me was when my son stopped by to say hi on his way out to recess.

It was nice to ensure my son's school was safe. It felt good to volunteer and do my part is supporting the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...