Friday, June 18, 2021

Soaking in Mount Fuji

The longer I live here, the more the lines blur between the "truly Japanese experiences" and what is my new normal. During a quick one day trip to Yamanashi, I had one of those moments that made me think "only in Japan..."

My son's school recently had a day off because it was the school's birthday. I'm not kidding! The entire school was closed in celebration of its founding. Since it wasn't a national holiday, we knew this would be a great day to get out and have an adventure. We rented a car and headed over the the town of Yamanashi, known for fruit crops like cherries, grapes, and peaches.

When we first moved here, someone told my husband about an onsen in Yamanashi that has views of Mount Fuji from the various pools. While soaking nude in a hot springs isn't for everyone, it is a very common thing in Japan. However, being able to do it while looking at one of the major symbols of Japan is not common (although many sentos have paintings of Mount Fuji adorning the walls).


Situated on the top of a tall hill (or short mountain), Hottarakashi is a decently sized onsen. There are two spas to choose from, with views of the mountain from each. They are aptly called "this" and "that" spa. We randomly choose one. It had four pools on the women's side and the same on the men's. Three of the pools were outside, and one was inside along with all the showers.


Upon arrival, my husband and son went to the men's side while I went to the women's by myself. I was surprised to find I had the onsen all to myself. That rarely happens, especially at such a special location. I quickly disrobed and rinsed off in the shower before wandering outside to sit in the pool looking at the mountain.

As a rule, cameras are not allowed in the onsen. 
However, since I was the only person there... I snuck a couple photos of the pools.
Mount Fuji in the background.

While the sky wasn't bright blue, it was clear, giving me a view of the often hidden peak. I found myself relaxing as I gazed at the landscape. It was quite warm, and I don't think I would have found it enjoyable if the outside temperature was any hotter (it was probably 28°C/82°F), but being there by myself and a clear sunny day was absolutely divine.

I have always wanted to soak in an outdoor onsen overlooking Mount Fuji. It seems like something strange to be on someone's bucket list, but it appeared on mine probably 20 years ago when I first lived in Osaka and didn't have the opportunity to do so. Since then, it has always lingered on that list of crazy things I'd like to do in my lifetime. It really is a uniquely Japanese experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...