Friday, October 9, 2020

A time for renewal

I can hardly believe that I have been here for over three years. But, there are little reminders all over the place. My son has completed a two-year kindergarten and has moved onto the next level of schooling - elementary school. I have enjoyed a third Japanese birthday cake with my name on it. And, my driver’s license was up for renewal.

It doesn’t matter when you get your initial license in Japan. It always expires one month after your birthday. How many years you have between renewals depends on how long you’ve had your license as well as your driving record. There are three levels of driver’s licenses here - green, blue, and gold. The green (indicating a new license) and blue licenses must be renewed every three years. If you have infractions (tickets, accidents, and so forth) on your license, you have to stick with this three year renewal cycle. However, if you make it to gold status (6 years accident and ticket-free), you only have to renew every 5 years.

With this renewal, I was moving up from a green to a blue license.

One month before my birthday, I received my renewal notice via a postcard. I had between then and one month after my birthday to go to the DLC (Driver’s License Center) to complete the process.

Last time, I had special circumstances that allowed me to jump through several hoops, specifically I didn’t have to attend driver’s education courses or a driving school and I didn’t have to take an exam because I hold a Washington State driver’s license (there is a special agreement between Japan and 4 states - Hawaii, Maryland, Virginia, and Washington). This time, I wouldn’t be so lucky.

We tried to leave early, but somehow managed to arrive at the DLC 30 minutes after it opened. While I have no idea what the line was like at 8 am, by 8:30 the line wrapped around the building and into the adjoining parking lot. My heart sank, knowing this was going to be a long process.

Once inside, I turned in my postcard and showed my driver’s license at Station 1. They handed over a form and directed me to Station 2. After filling out the form, I went to Station 2 and paid a fee (I can’t recall the exact amount, but it was less than $30USD). At Station 8 (out of order for some reason), I had to create a password that would be used later in the process. I had a vision test at Station 3 and turned in paperwork at Station 4. I picked up a printed document at Station 5 and then hopped over to Station 6 to get my picture taken.

After all that, I was directed upstairs to register for a class. I needed to sit through a 2 hour lecture before they would give me my updated license. Not looking forward to this portion, I took a deep breath and headed into the classroom. The rooms are filled in a first come, first serve basis. I had to laugh when I noticed all the desks in the back and sides of the classroom were filling up first. Some things don’t change, regardless of where you are in the world. I took my seat near the back and got ready for the course to begin.

An older gentleman arrived right at the starting time and stood at the front of the classroom. He was wearing his COVID uniform of a mask and face shield, as well as normal attire of a lapel microphone. He then walked the class through a variety of information. Some of it came from the two booklets we were given. Other, finer points, were explained with the help of an overhead projector. At some point we had to watch a video as well.


The whole course was in Japanese. I understood very little of it beyond the main concept of “don’t be a distracted driver.” At the beginning of class, the instructor emphatically told the class no cell phones were allowed. So, I just did my best and tried to stay engaged despite not comprehending most of the information. Thank goodness for the dried oranges I had in my bag that I could sneak whenever I felt my eyelids getting a bit too heavy.

At some point, we were given a short quiz. As soon as he started explaining it, my heart started beating super fast. Were they not going to to give me my license if I failed the quiz? But I couldn’t read the kanji (Chinese characters), let alone understand what was being asked! So I raised my hand and asked if I could use the translator on my phone. The teacher said it was fine. I pulled it out and did the best I could. After a couple questions I realized the quiz was a self reflection on distracted driving. Do you drive the same route everyday? Don’t get lazy and not pay attention! Do you drive while sleepy? That is very dangerous and reduces your reaction time! As soon I realized we didn’t even have to turn the quiz in, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Exactly two hours later, the class was done. I then stood in a line at Station 9 to pick up my license. (I have no idea where Station 7 was. Maybe it was the class...) A quick check on a computer using my new license and the passcode I had created earlier (to confirm everything matched and my license pulled up my information), and I was all done!

The whole process took 4 long hours! I’m so glad this isn’t an annual renewal. Maybe by the next time I have to go through this process I’ll understand more of what is said in the class. Then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...