Thursday, November 7, 2019

Check it out

My son and I had our first official visit to his future elementary school today.  That in itself is a huge thing.  My little baby is growing so fast before my eyes.  I can hardly stand it.

We had to go to the school for what was labeled a health check.  My husband kindly filled out all the forms and while he was at work, we headed over to the elementary school.

I was excited to see several moms from the kindergarten heading to the school as well.  We all walked together, as our kids ran ahead, excited to see their new school.

We arrived and removed our shoes, as is custom in Japan.  No shoes in schools or many public buildings.  We checked in and were guided to the first step of the process.

First my son had a hearing test.  Then he had an eye exam.  Up next was a line of 4 doctors - a dentist, optometrist (who looked into his eyes instead of just the sight exam), ear/nose/throat doctor, and a doctor that listened to his chest.  It was so well organized.

When we were done, we were directed upstairs.  I didn't know what to expect, but I followed orders anyway.  At the top of the stairs, my son was directed one way and I was directed another.  With raised eyebrows we went where we were told to go.

I found myself in the library where I was handed a large envelope filled with a stack of papers.  I quickly pulled out my trusty Google Translator and started figuring things out.  After a moment, a kind (English speaking) mom from the kindergarten sat next to me.  For the next half hour, she kindly translated and helped me out as needed.  I only had to fill out one form, which was very simple since my child does not have an allergies.  Mostly, I just made sure I had all the other forms and paperwork in my bulging envelope.

When the staff were done with their short presentation and making sure we had everything, the moms started chatting.  It turns out that seven of my son's current school mates will be going to the same school.  Several of the kids have older siblings, so it was nice hearing that we have some "experienced parents" around us.

The staff were inviting the parents to leave in groups.  We were at the third table.  I didn't know what to expect, as I thought I was only taking my son to the school for a health check and that was obviously complete.  But I patiently waited.

When our table was called, I was reunited with my son.  He told me that he had "practiced elementary school" by sitting in a real desk and doing a worksheet.  We were directed to two chair outside a door.  After a couple minutes, a gentleman came out of the door and invited us inside.  We were walking into an interview.  Oh, my goodness!  Stress immediately overcame my emotions and I found myself super nervous.  I told the man that I did not speak Japanese, but my son quickly spoke up and told him that he spoke Japanese because his dad is Japanese.  The man kindly smiled at my son and explained he was a teacher at the school and just had a few questions for us.

I was amazed at how much I understood.  Of course, they were super simple questions, like do you have older siblings; what kind of foods do you like; and what concerns do you or your parents have about elementary school?  Although nerve-wracking, it was nothing to be afraid of.

After the interview, we were all done.  While it was more than expected, it felt thorough and inviting.  There was a lot of information provided, which was really nice.  My son is that much closer to elementary school.  Similar to when he went to kindergarten, I am not sure I'm ready.  But I will get used to it.  No matter how hard I try to keep him little, he will continue to grow everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...