Thursday, August 29, 2019

2 years later

I can't believe that we arrived in Japan exactly 2 years ago.  It has felt like eternity, but it has also gone by in a flash.  There have been many ups and downs.  I've learned a lot about this incredible country as I tried to immerse myself into the culture and explore the city and beyond.

My life here is very different than it was in the US.  I don't cook or garden like I used to.  My flock of chickens and my son's beloved bunny rabbit no longer reside in our care.  I haven't mowed a lawn once since moving.  It's funny the things you miss.  The absolute hardest part is being so far away from my dearest friends and not being able to do all the fun stuff we used to do together.

Of course, my life would have changed regardless of moving to Japan.  My son started school - which was a whole different kind of culture shock.  I lost two grandparents that greatly affected me, as my grandparents are very incredible and inspiring people.  Friends have moved and life just changes over time.

While many people have commented to me "you sure keep yourself busy over there," the fact is my family has always been explorers.  On any given weekend in Seattle, you'd find us at some random festival or community event.  We've always been a very active family.

Tonight, as our family recognized that this was the anniversary of our arrival, I realized my son has lived in Japan for one third of his life.  This little factoid floored me.  It put it into a new perspective that I hadn't considered before.

With each evening spent at a Bon Odori festival or afternoon going to a shrine or temple, he is defining himself through a relationship with his Japanese culture.  By living in both countries he has learned about the world in a way that many people never do.  Parents are always giving their everything to give their children things they never had - and I am gifting the world to my son.

Each time I've been told I'm "more Japanese than a Japanese person is," I take it as a compliment.  As I learn more and more about the history, art, and culture here, I am able to share even more of a passion for this place with my husband and son.  They are Japanese.  I never will be.  But by loving it as I do, I have an additional bond with them that is so special for our family.

Honestly, leaving the US was really, really hard for me.  I loved my life there and I still pine for it often.  But I wouldn't have traded this experience because it has been truly incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...