Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Baby it's hot outside

Anytime a friend offers to take me to Costco, I jump at the chance.  Even though our kids were out on summer holiday, my friend and I decided it was time to go.  We could fit all three kids in the backseat since only one of her kids is still in a car seat. 

We headed out early, so we could arrive when it opened.  I had a list of fun things to buy for myself and 2 other friends.

After a glorious trip to Costco, my friend and I had three energetic kids that needed to run and have some fun.  It was decided that we should head to a park.  It was hot outside, 35°C/95°F, but it was also windy.  My friend found a "ninja training" park about 15 minutes from the magnificent warehouse.  We packed our treasures in ice and headed over.

The kids started shrieking and throwing fists in the air as soon as they set their eyes on Misato Park.  There were so many things to climb and test their limits on.  While on the one hand we loved hearing their cheers, but on the other hand, they needed to stay safely in their car seats until we were parked.  As soon as the car was turned off, they scrambled to get out. 


We grabbed bottles of water and watched the kids take off.  I quietly set my timer for 10 minutes as they hit the treeless play structure. 


The three kids immediately climbed up and over and across all sorts of equipment.  They were so happy to be free to play.


When my timer went off, we called the kids over.  They drank water and we put ice packs on their necks to keep them cool in the sweltering heat.  After a short break, they headed back out. 


There were several play structures in the same area of the park.  There was also a misting area.  But none of them had any shade to speak of.  So, we let the kids play for 3 - 10 minute stints before we called it a day.  It was sad to make the kids leave, but it was important to stay mindful of the heat.  Heatstroke is very serious here in Japan.  According to Japan Today (a Tokyo based online newspaper), just last week, 11 people died and 5,600 were sent to the hospital with heat related medical issues.


We agreed that we need to try to take the kids again when the weather isn't so crazy because this park is truly insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...