Thursday, May 23, 2019

Traditional meal, with a twist

The last time I lived in Japan, I nearly went broke eating American food.  I didn't know how to cook very many Japanese dishes and finding ingredients that I did know how to use was typically hard to find and pretty expensive.  I often tell the story of my $100 pan of macaroni and cheese.  I had to travel all over Osaka to find real cheese (made from milk, not oil) and noodles.  Finding these ingredients isn't the challenge it used to be, but they are still pretty expensive.

While in the US, my husband did most of the Asian cooking.  We kind of joke that he wouldn't even let me cook the rice.  When we moved to Japan, I had to take the reigns of cooking Japanese food.  It was a financial decision as well as one of convenience, since I was planning on being a stay at home mom and my husband was going to be working.

I've gone through phases of learning to make new dishes, and relying on standbys.  One of the quickest and easiest dinners to make is grilled fish, miso soup, and rice.  But we can only eat that so much.  I'm one of those people that can't eat the same thing day after day.  So, I'm constantly trying new things.

One of the most popular standbys in my house is oyakodonburi (oh-yak-o-don-burr-ee), chicken and egg rice bowl.  Simply put, it is chicken simmered in a savory broth and covered in egg, served over rice.

This quick and easy recipe was an easy choice for tonight because I had everything but the chicken at home.  Rice was already cooked and waiting for us in the rice cooker.  All I needed to do was swing by the store and pick up the chicken.

Of course, I have to put my own little twist on it.  I add whatever vegetables I have on hand.  I can't believe how many recipes in Japan don't include any vegetables.  It goes against my nature, so I add as much green, orange, and red (basically anything I have in the fridge) to whatever I am cooking.


Dinner took only 15 minutes to prep and cook (because I didn't have to wait for the rice to cook).  It is super simple, yet tasty and filling.  And everyone in my house was happy.


****Here is the recipe if you want to try it****
4 portions of hot rice
1 chicken breast or 2 thighs
2 long onions (leeks can also be used)
1 large handful of mushrooms
1 bunch of greens - Typically I use kale, but today I had chrysanthemum leaves. (Do not go out an eat the leaves off of your flowers!  These are an edible variety available at Asian stores.)
2 cups of dashi stock
3 tbsp mirin
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
4 eggs

1) Make the rice.
2) Cut up all the vegetables and chicken into bite size pieces.
3) In a large skillet, combine the dashi stock, mirin, and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.  Taste the broth to make sure it is very strong.  If not strong enough, simmer for 5 more minutes.  A weak broth will make a flavorless meal.
4) Add the chicken, onions, and mushrooms.  Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
5) Top with the greens.
6) Beat the eggs and gently pour them over the stock in a circular motion, taking care to cover everything evenly.  Cover the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes over low heat.  When the eggs are set, but still runny, turn off the heat and leave it covered for another minute.
7) Put the rice in bowls and spread the chicken and egg mixture over each bowl.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...