Saturday, May 25, 2019

Growing my own

I planted chamomile last year to have a few flowers in my garden.  It attracts lots of beneficial bugs like lady bugs and butterflies, so it is a good thing to grow.  However, it is know to take over if it isn't carefully controlled.  I took the risk and planted it anyway.  Last year I just let it grow and do its thing.  I didn't harvest it or pay that much attention to it. 

This spring, I wasn't surprised to see several chamomile plants taking root without any help from me.  I pulled several plants, but left 2 to grow and flower. 


It is now in full bloom, so I harvested the blooms to dry for tea this winter.  I simply plucked the flowers, careful not to get any stems (which can be bitter). 


I let the harvest sit in the sun for an hour to encourage any bugs I might have accidently put into the strainer to fly away.  I then laid out the blooms onto a baking sheet and put it into a dark drawer that I don't open very often.  This will allow the flowers to dry in darkness and not loose their color.


I'm looking forward to enjoying chamomile tea all winter.  Chamomile tea isn't very popular in Japan because it isn't "really tea", meaning the beverage doesn't contain any tea leaves.  But I like to drink it, especially if I am having a hard time sleeping or if I don't feel well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...