Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Follow the leader

I decided to host my first Hike it Baby hike on a weekday afternoon because my son gets out of school early on Wednesdays.  On the previous Hike it Baby hikes I talked to other parents about this great park that I lived near.  So, I wanted to share a bit of my neck of the woods. 

I had two families come to my hike today.  We met at the library and followed the path around the perimeter of the park.  I don't normally walk on this path, so it felt a little like we were in a different park.  I encouraged the kids to leave the path a bit to explore and find interesting things.

I loved stopping to look at the flowers.  My son was interested in seeing all the bugs, especially the ladybugs that hung out on his head and shoulder for over an hour.


I've been needing a break from Japan more and more recently.  I'm bogged down and I just need a break.  Today's hike felt like a break for me.  It isn't that I don't love Japan, I just need to hit the pause button from it sometimes.

This morning, while walking to school, we passed a mom and her daughter walking to the same school.  We've seen them several times, so my son and I stopped our conversation (in English) and said hello to the mother and daughter (in Japanese).  The mom proceeded to talk to my son.  She complimented his language skills, telling him he spoke both "very well."  Something inside me snapped.  I wanted to scream so loudly.  Why would you compliment someone's ability to do something as natural as speaking the language they have spoken their entire life?   

Maybe I just grew up around a lot more bilingual people.  Although it is an enviable skill, I wouldn't think to comment on it.  The whole thing may not seem like a big deal to some, but when it happens again and again, it is annoying.  I compare it to complimenting a child on how well they walk, when they are 5 years old.

I didn't say anything to her.  I just sped up and left her in my dust.  When people say things like this to you on a daily basis, what is there to say?  I could lecture each person.  I could make a sign explaining the rudeness.  I could make a t-shirt.  But I don't do any of these things.  I just internalize it.  And eventually, I need a break from this and things just like it.

For me, Hike it Baby has been that respite.  Hanging out with the two moms, walking around, and watching our kids play together today gave me a bit of a reset.  It was a breath of fresh air when I felt like I was being crushed just a little too much.

I enjoyed hosting the hike.  It wasn't very much pressure at all.  I look forward to hosting more in the future.  But next time, I'm going to go a bit further and explore someplace new.  And, hopefully, next time I won't start out so burdened with headaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...