Saturday, March 30, 2019

Interesting things at the grocery store

I try to be careful before labeling things as "weird," although it is very tempting to do so at times.  Just because it is weird to me, doesn't actually make it weird. 

Although I try to make that word taboo in my vocabulary, it seems to pop into my head often when I'm shopping.  So, instead of calling something weird, I label it as "interesting" or "unique."  Sometimes I try these new-to-me things.  Other times I pass right on by.

Even after a year and a half here, I can still get confused in a grocery store.  I have given up on trying to find many things after searching shelves, going to multiple stores, or asking someone and receiving blank stares.  My personal favorite is when you ask for something and they simply respond with "no."  If I press for more, like "where can I find xyz," they just stare at me.  This even happens when I ask where a bathroom is sometimes!

It can be really disheartening to know exactly what I want but not be able to get it.  I have relied on Amazon a lot more in Tokyo to get certain items (like white vinegar) than I ever did in the US.  Many things I have just realized that it just wasn't meant to be and gave set the desire aside, and sometimes put on the "buy in the US next time I'm there" list.

Here is a short list of interesting things I saw at the grocery store recently.  I hope you find them as interesting as I do.

The cocotte cup is an ice cream cone that people put salads into.  The photo on the box shows potato salad, ham, and vegetables.  I have been served one of these cones at a restaurant filled with steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. 

Aloe flavored yogurt is pretty popular here.  It typically includes little chunks of jelly-like textured cubes of aloe.

Nabe is a very, very popular winter food.  If you don't want to make your own broth, there is a slew of choices at the grocery store.  If you don't know what ingredients to add to your nabe, just look at the photo on the front of the package. 

While a rack of marinated meats doesn't seem that strange, the fact that it is self service always gives me pause.  These pork chops are marinated in: miso, koji (a type of enzyme used to make sake and more), garlic and basil, kimchee, and one more that I forgot!

Right next to the marinated pork chops was a selection of other meat products.  The one that really threw me was the hamburger patty with cheese. 

For the most part, I'm pretty used to the unique drinks in Japan.  I don't bat an eye at many of the new-to-me concoctions.  The berry au latte doesn't sound too bad, but you'll never see me drink a banana au latte.

Every grocery store has an impressive rice selection.  This store dedicates an entire aisle to rice, and that is not uncommon.

My husband's favorite find was the ramen labeled "American favorite taste."  It is bacon flavored and comes with a small packet of maple syrup.  My husband did buy this ramen, because it made him laugh.  I think he is having second thoughts though since he hasn't eaten it yet.

Going to the grocery store is certainly never boring.  There is always something interesting to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...