Friday, January 25, 2019

Picking up dinner

It happens more often than I like to admit.  Usually by the end of the week, I'm just not wanting to cook dinner.  So my son and I head over to the local fish shop, Fresh Hikari, to pick up sushi for dinner.


At 5:00 all the sushi is marked down to get it out the door before the store closes at 7:00.  They start with marking it down one or two hundred yen.  Every 30 minutes, any remaining fish is marked down even more. 


It is fast, easy, and filling.  I can never get over how horrible supermarket sushi is in the states.  I once bought sushi at my beloved Trader Joe's, and almost got sick from the gummy rice and bland fish.  A very young me making a very gross choice of food.  It didn't happen again.  Sushi sold in stores in Japan is always fresh and great quality.  There is a very high expectation here.  People would not put up with overcooked rice and subpar fish.  It would rot on the shelves.

Most stores mark their sushi down at the end of the day.  If they do lower their price, it is a great, inexpensive dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...