Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day

Like many countries around the world, Japan celebrates mothers on the second Sunday of May.  Moms are often gifted with red carnations, a symbol of purity and sweetness.  Families tend to spend the day together.  I've been told that popular meals are egg based - like tamagoyaki (sweetened rolled omelet) and chawanmushi (savory steamed custard).

Although we've already discovered that brunch isn't a thing in Japan, but I'm sure there are lots of restaurants with reservations today.

It doesn't feel as big of a deal in Japan as it is in the states, as my son didn't bring home special art projects or poetry from school.  Instead, my son sang me an original song that he made up.  He loves to make up songs, so this was a beautiful thing to hear.

My husband and son gave me some alone time (which I'm always very grateful for) and went to the store to pick up dinner ingredients as well as a couple items from our shopping list.  They came home with these items as well as cheesecake with fresh, glazed fruit on top. 


We had a nice quiet day, playing games and just enjoying being together.  And that is all that I wanted.  That is all that I'll ever want for Mother's Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...