Friday, March 30, 2018

Japanese fast food

Piyo Piyo is on a break.  Woe is me.  Piyo Piyo fallows the school schedule and right now they are on a break as schools transition into a new school year.  The Japanese school year begins in April, the same time as the cherry blossoms bloom and the northern hemisphere begins anew.  (Have I mentioned that the cherry blossoms bloomed early this year?)

With Piyo Piyo being on a break, we still go play at the park with friends, but we are on our own for lunch.  No stone soup!  Even though we really, really enjoy the creative playtime of Piyo Piyo, I really miss making the soup on the fire.  There is something so fun about building the fire, combining the ingredients contributed by everyone, and seasoning to taste.  Sitting around the little tables in the park with all the kids, eating soup, is a delightful part of our week.

Dinner was gobbled up last night, so we didn't have leftovers to take to the park with us.  I didn't feel like making or purchasing bento.  So, my son and I decided to get take out.  We had spotted an onigiri place a short time ago and today was the day to try it out.


As previously blogged about, onigiri is a ball of rice often filled with a variety of goodies.  Similar to a bakery, I grabbed a tray and a pair of tongs at the entrance.  I then perused the various onigiri options to choose from.  I picked a couple and grabbed them from the little boxes that keep them fresh and covered until selected. 


I honestly had to guess what everything was, since I can't read kanji (once again, just like bakeries).  Several things looked very yummy and deciding was harder that I thought it would be.  I bought two onigiri, two inari (balls of rice stuffed into sweetened tofu pouches), a couple karaage (friend chicken bites), a croquette (fried potato pancake), and tsukemono (pickled radish).  It was too much, but I had a hard time narrowing it down!

Sukiyaki beef onigiri; Ume (pickled plum) onigiri; Regular inari; "Spring" inari.

The food made a nice picnic.  It wasn't Piyo Piyo stone soup, but it was really nice.  I'm sure we will be back again to try even more varieties of onigiri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...