Monday, February 5, 2018

Pea Patch

Although my pea patch (community garden plot) technically isn't mine until March 1,  I couldn't resist paying a visit to it.  I just had to see the soil for myself. 


It is a short 3-5 min bike ride from my house, depending on the length of the one traffic light I have to ride through.  The garden is surrounded by houses and apartments. 


There are a couple sheds with tools for any of the gardeners to use while at the pea patch.  This is especially nice since I didn't bring any tools with me.  I'll buy my own trowel and hand rake, but wasn't looking forward to purchasing all new shovels and so forth.  So, it's nice that I don't have to buy them. 

There is also hose hook up or lots of watering cans, if a gardener prefers to haul the water.  Since the garden isn't that big, I'll probably use the watering cans.


I'm currently thinking of what I will plant in the pea patch.  I have requested a seed catalog from one of the companies that my favorite seed company recommended.  They offer an English version of their catalog, which is so nice for me!

I know I will grow cucumbers, winter squash, and tomatoes.  Peas and beans are a must, but might be better suited to growing in a pot in our little courtyard versus using up space in the garden.  I might dedicate some of the garden to peppers, since my son is such a big fan of them.  For the most part, I just want to look through seed catalogs and see what interests me.  My son has specifically requested sunflowers, which I'm sure I will oblige.  They are so easy and always bring a smile to my face.

No matter what, I plan on getting my hands dirty, soaking up the sunshine, and growing some beautiful food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...