Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Adjusting, I Guess

A friend asked me today how I was adjusting to my new life.  It was an interesting thing to ponder. 

On the one hand, I am simply living my life day by day.  I get up every morning.  I take care of my son.  I do things that need to get done.  I try to go interesting places and do new things.  We go to a lot of parks for fresh air and getting wiggles out.  My family eats meals together and we make sure to have various forms of family time.  At the end of the day, I go to bed. 

On the other hand, I am in a new place.  Things are harder here and take more effort to do things that used to be very easy.  When I go to the grocery store, I can't just grab and go.  I have to stop and look at everything to make sure I am getting what I intend to purchase.  Nothing like coming home with sugar when you were trying to buy salt!  I often pause to try to understand something or overcome a language barrier.  After 4 weeks here, my husband just told me I was saying gibberish when telling the grocery clerk that I didn't want a bag.  I was really upset that no one corrected me earlier even after he reminded me that it is considered rude to correct someone.  Since then, my son has been quizzing me on how to say "hukuro iranai."  I get lost - a lot.  It's getting better since getting my phone with GPS, but I don't know where things are and how to get there.  I don't have my things and often can't do things my way, which is very challenging to say the least.  Each day I take the time to write this blog about the things I see, do, and feel.  Topics are easy to come up with because there's so much to consider.

There are very drastic differences between my life in the US and Japan.  Some are easier to get used to than others.  I had a car in the US, but I don't have one here.  Not driving is nice, but everything takes much longer to get to.  I have very wonderful, supportive friends in the US, and here they are far away and usually only reachable until about 3:PM or 4:PM Tokyo time.  This means I can't wait until after my son goes to bed to call them or meet them for lunch.  And, frankly, I haven't made any friends here.  There have been lots of pleasant conversations that haven't developed into anything.  My son had many things that occupied his time in the US, whereas now he demands my attention pretty much nonstop.  He doesn't have his friends here or his yard or most of his toys.  I was very independent in the US, but now have to rely on my husband A LOT!  I texted him the other day from the grocery store so he could tell me if something in a bottle was a marinade or a dipping sauce.  And I'm constantly taking photos of signs for him to translate later.


Honestly, I don't think I have fully really realized that I actually MOVED here.  Living in temporary housing feels like I'm not really here to stay.  There is a receptionist that can help me whenever I need something and always greets me as I walk through the lobby.  Housekeeping comes twice a week.  I don't even have stuff to clean with!!!  The kitchen is how they set it up, not how I would have organized it.  And it definitely doesn't have my tools that I love and use frequently.

I think moving anywhere takes time to really feel like you've adjusted and you're in your new home.  But for me, this process will take even longer because of the strange situation I'm in.  I hope that when we do move into our permanent housing, I will be able to really grasp the drastic shift that has taken place in my life.

Until then, I'll continue to get up and get things done.  I'll continue to focus on my son and his needs.  And I'll continue to seek out adventure and explore new places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...