I decided I really want to prep cook for the week again. It has been so hot and muggy, having just one hot day is so much better than 7. So I made a list in my mind and headed to the store.
As I pulled up to the store, I noticed something was amiss. There was scaffolding in front of the building! What was going on? There was a sign tapped to the window of the store, which I quickly photographed and sent it to my husband.
He replied, explaining they were closed for renovations. While I was a bit disappointed (and frustrated because I didn't know they were closed even though they had probably posted the information and I didn't notice/see it/understand), at least I could go to another store.
That's exactly what I did. I brushed myself off and headed to another store.
My husband, son and I worked together to cook food for the week. Our menu consisted of roasted chicken, stuffed peppers, miso eggplant with pepper stir-fry, baked zucchini with tomato sauce and cheese, sautéed bean sprouts, and roasted carrots. The work was super easy because we worked together.
Some days a closed store can really get me down. Other days it doesn't even phase me. Today, I had something to look forward to, so it didn't bother me. If it was closed permanently, it would have been a different story. Ugh!
*******************************************************
Recipe for Miso Eggplant with Pepper Stir-fry:
3 medium eggplants
4 small Japanese peppers (which are more bitter than bell peppers)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp miso
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
Cut the eggplant and peppers into bite-sized pieces. Heat oil in pan and stir-fry the veggies. Once softened, add the remaining ingredients. Cook for 1 minute and serve.
In 2017 my family headed to Tokyo. My husband had a new job and my son and I came along for the ride. This move was my second move to Japan - the first was for a year in 2002. At that time I was a single, recent college graduate. Moving abroad as a family was a whole different ball of wax. As I live this crazy life in Japan, I track our adventures and my observations, creating an unofficial guidebook to the city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The time has come to say goodbye
Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...
-
A surprising favorite snack of Japanese people is the almighty potato chip. I can deduct this based on the vast number of potato chips one ...
-
Tokyo has 23 wards within the city. The last ward, Nerima, was created in 1947. It is the ward we now live in. Nerima is known as the bir...
No comments:
Post a Comment