Thursday, August 9, 2018

Just a thought

When I see cars waiting in the middle of the road, I assume they are waiting to turn left.  How long is it going to take me to automatically remember they are wanting to turn right?  It is just one of those little things that reminds me that everything takes more effort and more thought than in the US. 

This isn't the only thing that boggles my mind or takes an extra second to process.  There are many, many of these instances regularly.  When will I ever learn?

Gum tends to come in tubs in Japan.  A chicklet-like shape is very popular versus the sticks we see in the Safeway checkout line.  But this isn't what caused me to pause and wonder.  It was the little stack of post-its inside that confused me.  It turns out, these little pieces of paper are for you to wrap your gum in once you are done chewing it.  After all, there aren't garbage cans on every street corner here (they can be found at convenience stores, but can be super difficult to find otherwise).  Since you can't wrap the gum back in it's wrapper, this is a great solution.


Why do eggs come in 10 packs here?  As a matter of pondering, why can you buy eggs in 2, 4, 6, or 10 packs, but not a dozen?  Is it because the fridges are so small?  I don't know.  But I think about it way more than I should.  (And, yes, most eggs come in plastic crates, not paper egg cartons.  I try to buy the paper whenever possible, but they tend to be much more expensive.)


My final pondering for today has to do with ice.  Store clerks are constantly giving me ice packs.  I used to think it was the strangest thing.  However, I have solved this mystery recently.  Whenever I buy something refrigerated at a small shop, a little ice pack is slipped into my bag.  If I am at a larger grocery store, there is a big ice machine near where you pack your own bags.  The reason behind the ice obsession, in my opinion, is because people aren't getting into air conditioned cars with their cold items.  In order to stay cold (or frozen) in the heat while on a long walk or bike ride home, they need some ice.  That's pretty darn smart.  Of course, I don't think I need these ice packs in 60 or 70°F, but I haven't seen those temperatures in months.  These days I desperately need the ice, otherwise everything is melted by the time I get home.  The little packs are so helpful.

This ice is not for consumption.  Only for keeping things cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...