Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Bugs

My son and I are under attack.  Everyday we come home with more and more welts all over our legs and arms.  The mosquitos are so bad.  Even though I spray us and we have little mosquito repellant coils burning near us in the park, we are still dinner.

The temperature has been in the high 20°C (high 70s / low 80s).  More importantly, Japan is HUMID.  Really, really humid.  It is so gross.  I can deal with these temperatures, but the humidity makes me a huge grump.  And the bugs (of all kinds) like the hot, humid weather.

My son has been collecting huge ants, about a half inch long, some with wings, at the park.  He gets so excited to capture them in a plastic bottle (with holes punctured in it for breathing fresh air).  I have the duty of freeing the bugs after nightfall, as I'm the one who doesn't want a large collection of dead ants in our courtyard.

Collecting bugs often has it's drawbacks, specifically getting bitten by mosquitos!  He's wandering around in wooded areas, damp from the humidity, away from the repellant coils, and the mosquitos see a free lunch.  This morning, he told me his leg itched.  I found a huge 2 inch wide welt on his shin!  Ugh! 

Other bugs are also making an appearance in the park, like the Japanese rhinoceros beetle or kabutomushi.  This beetle is famous in Japan - often appearing in anime (cartoons and comics) and tv and movies.  It is synonymous with summer, as it lives as larva in the ground for almost a year before appearing as a beetle in late spring where it's main focus is making more beetles.  After mating several times (laying eggs in the ground if it is a female), the beetle dies in September or October. 

Today, two girls at the park found one of these beetles in a tree.  They kindly brought it over to show all the kids.  I have never seen one that was as big as this one!  The beetles can grow to 80mm (3.14 inches) and I think this one was close to that! 


It was so neat to see this famous Japanese beetle up close and personal.  It felt really special since it is such a iconic bug.  However, I still declined to touch it.  I wasn't that curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...