Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Drop me a Line

With as popular as cell phones are in this country (and every country, for that matter), it is not surprising that social media and instant messaging is also very popular here.  While many people have Facebook profiles and texting on their phones, these aren't the most popular form of online communication.  Texting still costs a lot of money in Japan!  Line is the app of choice.


When I meet new people that want to stay connected, they ask me "Do you have Line?"  Stores offer Line promotions to get you to "friend" them on the platform.  I notice the logo all over the place.

I hesitated to add Line to my collection of communication tools.  I didn't want another app to learn and keep track of.  I'm not the most techie person, often wanting to leave my phone at home and just enjoy the moment.  When I have my phone, I often find myself getting lost in apps, especially Facebook.  What are people doing?  What could I share about what I am doing?  What will I learn if I click on this "suggested post?"  It is easy to waste so much time!  I've purposely steered clear of Pinterest and Instagram because I know I will get sucked into the void.

Over time, I saw my husband participating in all kinds of Line promotions - getting money off at stores and getting invites to special events.  At first, I just thought to myself "well that is nice for him."  But then I realized I could be saving money here and there, too.  I wouldn't be able to understand the event information, but I could still chat with people and more.

After digging in my feet, I finally relented and added Line to my phone.  Since then, I've made several connections with people that have proved to be very valuable - especially the park moms!  I have even started using it with some friends back home in the US.  Once nice feature is you can add a translator to your chat.  Now, it is probably one of the worst translators out there, but often times I understand the point someone was trying to make.

Tonight, though, I even surprised myself.  There is a pastry shop that I've been wanting to try their fruit tarts.  I noticed they were offering 10% their box of 5 various slices and I decided tonight was the night I was going to get the desserts.  While telling the lady my order, I noticed a little sign that said (something like) connect with them on Line and get 10% off.  Well, I decided to bite the bullet and "friend" them!  Finally, in my wallet, I had ¥200 coupon from my husband doing a different Line promotion earlier in the week.  I could use the coupon anywhere in the shopping center.  So, instead of paying ¥1,188, I paid ¥762.  A Yen saved is a Yen earned!


So, even though I didn't want to do it, I'm glad I finally downloaded Line on my phone.  I'm sure it will get more and more useful as I learn more about how to use it.  And, hopefully, I can keep saving money with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...